Sunday, September 13, 2009

ForeignTrainedDentists.Net is LIVE!

To all dear visitors, we're moving to a new address!

From now on, this site will not be updated

We're moving to ForeignTrainedDentists.Net

(Don't worry, I will always try to answer your questions, head over to the Foreign Trained Dentists Forums to post them there!)

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Dental License in Pennsylvania for Foreign Trained Dentists

The Keystone State, one of the original 13 colonies, is home to many foreign trained dentists, and is open to you as well if you satisfy the requirements of the state board of dentistry, it's relatively straight-forward, and I will copy and paste from the pertinent chapters of the state's regulations:

Education Requirement:
Foreign trained dentists may satisfy the education requirement by obtaining additional preclinical and clinical training in a CODA accredited dental school that will lead to the awarding of the DMD or DDS degree by that school. So the board does not specify exact criteria for the additional training as long as it culminates in a dental degree.

Written Examination Requirement:
Candidates for licensure shall pass the National Board Dental Examination.

Clinical Examination Requirement:
Candidates for licensure shall pass the Northeast Regional Board (NERB) Dental Examination.

Other Requirement:
The Pennsylvania Board will recognize successful completion of the NERB Dental Examination for up to 5 years from the date scores are reported to the Board. After 5 years, the Board will accept passing scores on the examination only if the candidate has been engaged in postgraduate or in the practice of dentistry in another jurisdiction.

Source: Pennsylvania Board of Dentistry Regulations.

Saturday, June 13, 2009

Dental License in Illinois for Foreign Trained Dentists

To apply for an Illinois dental license as a foreign trained dentist you need to satisfy the following requirements set forth by the state:

1. Certification of graduation from your dental college or school in your home country.

2. Additional clinical training in one of the following alternatives:

(a) Certification from an approved dental college or school in the US or Canada that the applicant has completed a minimum of 2 years of clinical training at the school in which the applicant met the same level of scientific knowledge and clinical competence as all graduates from that school or college. Those two years of clinical training shall consist of 2850 clock hours completed in 2 academic years for full-time applicants or 4 years for part-time applicants.

(b) Certification, from the program director of an accredited advanced dental education program approved by the state, of completion of no less than 2 academic years may be substituted for the 2 academic years of general dental clinical training.

3. Application fee of $250

4.Proof of successful completion of the NBDE with a minimum grade of 75.

5.Proof of successful completion of a clinical examination.

Clinical Dental Examinations accepted by Illinois

The main clinical examination that is accepted in Illinois is the American Dental Licensing Examination (ADLEX) developed by the American Board of Dental Examiners (ADEX). Illinois also accepts the following examinations for licensure if administered and passed in their entirety prior to October 1, 2006: CRDTS & NERB Combined Regional Examination (CORE), NERB, CRDTS, SRTA, WREB.

Monday, May 25, 2009

Dental License in Florida for Foreign Trained Dentists

Florida is another state that many foreign trained dentists decide to live and work in, there are a lot of similarities to some of the other major states when it comes to steps to obtaining a dental license, lets see how the process works there.

Dental licensure in Florida is by examination, and as a foreign trained dentist, you can only become eligible to sit for the exam if you complete a program of study at an accredited American dental school and demonstrate receipt of a DDS or DMD from that school or, complete a 2-year supplemental dental education program at an accredited dental school that provides remediation to the level of an accredited DDS or DMD program, and receive a dental diploma, degree, or certificate as evidence of successful program completion.

Another standard requirements as in all other states is successfully completing the NBDE parts I & II within 10 years of the date of the application.

Once you meet the above requirements you must successfully complete the following exams to be licensed in Florida:

1. A written examination on the laws and rules of the state regulating the practice of dentistry, administered by Prometric.

2. A practical or clinical examination, that includes: (a) 2 restorations, at least one on a live patient. (b) demonstration of perio skills on a live patient. (c) demonstration of prosthetic & restorative skills in removable and fixed prosthetics. (d) fixed prep on mannequin teeth. (e) demonstration of endo skills. The exams are administered in Nova Southeastern and University of Florida dental schools.

3. A diagnostic skills examination, administered by Prometric.

More detailed information about the above examinations can be found by downloading the candidate information booklet

Sunday, March 1, 2009

CAAPID: Centralized Application for Advanced Placement for International Dentists

Hot off the press ! Foreign trained dentists looking for advanced placement positions in US dental schools will soon have a new and improved way to apply for such positions. ADEA, the American Dental Education Association, will implement a centralized application system for international dentists. The first application cycle will start on June 8, 2009. It seems that this new system has been developed at the request of several dental schools that currently have international programs or advanced standing programs to streamline the process of admissions to these programs.

The application system is similar in a lot of ways to PASS or AADSAS where the applicant is required to submit one application and one set of supporting documents or credentials to ADEA and ADEA in turn distributes these to the programs the applicant in interested in.

More information will be available as we get closer to the June 8 date, ADEA staff will be demonstrating the CAAPID application during the ADEA Annual Session this month in Phoenix. Later on this month, ADEA expects to have a CAAPID information website with more details about participating programs and their admission requirements.

This is truly an exciting development to international dentists who are just starting their US dental license quest, it will make the whole application process a lot easier and more efficient. Stay tuned for more information.

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Dental License in Texas for Foreign Trained Dentists

Texas, the Lone Star State, is the second largest US state (area & population). There are several routes to obtaining a license to practice dentistry in Texas. The following paragraphs will summarize the general requirements, and more specifics as it relates to foreign trained dentists.

General Requirements

1. All applicants should be at least 21 years old, and of good moral character.
2. All applicants must submit the following:
a. A complete and notarized application for Texas license.
b. Application fee.
c. All supporting documents as indicated by the application.
d. Jurisprudence assessment for initial licensure certificate of completion.

Texas Jurisprudence Assessment for Initial Licensure:

This assessment tool is the only way you can meet the jurisprudence requirements for the Texas Board of Dental Examiners. It is an online assessment that you do not need to study in advance for as the information needed to answer the questions are available for you to review while taking the assessment. There is no time limit for this assessment and it has a "no fail" format, and you can take it online at your convenience.

Dental License for Foreign Trained Dentists:

Everything above (general requirements) apply in this section. To apply for licensure in Texas, you must present proof that you have:

1. Graduated from a dental school (foreign dental school), and
2. Completed specialty training in a program accredited by CODA, this specialty program should be of at least two years duration. Note that AEGD and GPR programs are not recognized as specialty programs so the do not qualify under this requirement.

If you meet these two requirements then you can request the board's approval to participate in any of the following clinical license exams WREB, CRDTS, NERB, and SRTA. After successful completion of any of these exams, you will need to submit all of the following:

1. Dental license aplication
2. Application fee.
3. Copies of document that show date of birth (birth certificate, passport, etc).
4. Certified or notarized copy of your diploma.
5. Proof of successful completion of NBDE parts I & II.
6. Proof of successful completion of an ADA-approved specialty program.
7. Proof of completion of a clinical license exam.
8. Verification of license in other state(s), if you have a dental license from another state.
9. Current CPR certification.
10. Jurisprudence examination.

What if you do not have the required specialty training or you do not want to do specialty training? You can still apply for Texas dental license by examination, but you have to qualify for that by obtaining a dental degree (DDS or DMD) from a CODA-accredited dental school. This is usually achieved by completing an 2-years international program or advanced standing.

Dental License by Examination:

Once you complete your accredited program (international program or advanced standing), obtain your degree, and successfully complete a clinical license exam, you can apply for a Texas dental license by submitting the following documentation:

1. Application for dental license.
2. Application fee.
3. Copies of document that show date of birth (birth certificate, passport, etc).
4. Certified or notarized copy of your diploma from the accredited school.
5. Proof of successful completion of NBDE parts I & II.
6. Proof of completion of a clinical license exam.
7. Verification of license in other state(s), if you have a dental license from another state.
8. Current CPR certification.
9. Jurisprudence examination.
10. Proof of social security number.

So, in a nutshell, a foreign trained dentist can become elilgible for a Texas dental license by either completing a CODA-approved specilaty training program, or obtaining a DDS or DMD degree from a CODA-approved dental school.

Texas State Board of Dental Examiners.

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Dental License in New York for Foreign Trained Dentists

As is the case in California, New York is one of the more progressive states in the union in more than one respect, and when it comes to dental regulations, it is no exception. In the following paragraphs I will try to summarize the requirements and regulations to obtain dental license in New York, I will go over the general information and also the specifics when it comes to foreign trained dentists. The general requirements include: good moral character, at least 21 years old, fulfill education requirements, examination requirements, and experience requirements, and finally you should be a US citizen or a permanent resident.

Education Requirements

For foreign trained dentists, the main education requirement is to complete not less than two academic years of study satisfactory to the department in a registered or accredited dental school program including such subjects as may be necessary for certification by such registered or accredited school that the candidate has achieved the level of knowledge and clinical proficiency expected of a graduate of the school. This program could culminate in a dental degree, diploma, or certificate.

Now if you have doubts or questions about a particular dental program and you want to know for sure if it is satisfactory, you should contact the NY Board of Dentistry directly at or 518-474-3817 ext 550

Other education requirements, specially if you did not graduate from a NY dental school, include training in the identification and reporting of child abuse, and infection control training.

Experience Requirements

Clinical license exams are no longer required or accepted for license in New York (since December 31, 2006). Instead, applicants should complete an approved clinically-based dental residency program of at least one year duration, most AEGD or GPR programs are considered acceptable for this requirement, as well as most dental specialty programs.

Examination Requirements

Passing NBDE parts I & II

3-Year Limited License

What if you are not a US citizen or a permanent resident? You still have an alternate route if you are willing to make some compromises. You can apply for and obtain a three-year limited license provided that you meet all other requirements, and you are willing to provide services in a Federal Dental Health Professional Shortage Area of New York State. You may also apply for an extension of six years if you are applying for or in the process of obtaining a permanent resident status.

Finally, I hope the information posted here was helpful, if you have more information about the NY license process please feel free to share it with other readers here, thanks!


NYS Dentistry License Requirements

Saturday, December 6, 2008

Dental License in California for Foreign Trained Dentists

Being a California dental school graduate myself and a former California Dental Association Student Representative, I wanted to talk today about the licensing process in California. Generally speaking, a foreign trained dentist, or for that matter anybody else, can obtain a license to practice dentistry in California by successfully completing one of the following scenarios:

1. California Board Examinations:

a. The Restorative Technique examination: is for all persons who:

i. Have been issued a dental degree by a foreign dental school not approved by the Board or accredited by a body that has a reciprocal accreditation agreement with a commission or accreditation organization (for practical purposes, this includes almost all foreign trained dentists), and

ii. Passed the National Board of Dental Examinations Part I and Part II by December 31, 2003.

iii. Individuals must have submitted evidence of passing Parts I & II of the NBDE to the Board by July 12, 2004 to be eligible to sit for the RT Examination.

This is why if you are new here, or have not applied by July 12, 2004, it’s really too late to pursue this option, which is due to sunset by the end of this year. But if you were one of the few who met the requirement and passed the Restorative Technique examination then you may take either the California clinical examination or the Western Regional Examining Board (WREB) examination.

More information about the Restorative Technique examination

b. The Clinical examination: if for all persons who :

i. Successfully completed the Restorative Technique examination (above) or

ii. Graduates of schools accredited by the American Dental Association Commission on Dental Accreditation.

Although this examination is referred to as the “Clinical” examination, it does have both written and clinical components which will test you on the following subjects: Endodontics, Removable Prosthodontics Evaluation, Periodontics, Class II Amalgam Restoration, Class III or IV Composite Resin Restoration, Simulated Fixed Prosthetics, California Laws and Ethics.

Specific information about the clinical examination can be found in the handbook .

Total fee for the examination is $601, and re-examination fee $525

2. Application to the Dental Board of California for licensure after successful completion of the WREB examination (After January 1, 2005), this is what most applicants seek these days, since passing the WREB examination meets the clinical examination requirement of license in many more States while the California Board examination is only for license in California. In addition to passing the WREB examination, the board also requires satisfactory evidence of having graduated from a dental school approved by the board, having passed parts I and II of the National Board Examinations. Other requirements and conditions also apply, more information can be found here.

3. Application for Licensure by Credential – This would only apply to dentists with a “clear and valid” dental license in another US state.

4. Application for Licensure by Residency – This is one of the new and exciting options to obtain dental license. On February 1, 2008 the Office of Administrative Law approved the Board’s Emergency regulations implementing SB 683, qualification for dental license on the basis of completion of a minimum of 12 months of a general practice residency or advanced education in general dentistry program approved by the ADA’s Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA). This is in lieu of having to sit for the California Clinical examination or the WREB examination. You should be a graduate of an ADA or board approved dental program, completed a CODA-approved GPR or AEGD, passed parts I & II of the NBDE, not failed the WREB clinical examination within the last five years, other conditions and requirements must be met also, more information can be found here.

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Dental License in Virginia for Foreign Trained Dentists

Every state in the US has its own rules and regulations to govern and regulate various professions, and laws governing dentistry are no exception. I will start with the State of Virginia since I was recently licensed to practice dentistry in Virginia.

Education Requirements:

A diploma or a certificate from a dental program accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association. This dental program could be any of the following:
(a) Pre-doctoral dental education program
(b) At least a 12-month post-doctoral advanced general dentistry program
(c) Post-doctoral dental education program in any other specialty.

Licensure Examinations:

1. Successful completion of Part I and Part II of the national board dental examination.

2. Satisfactory completion of all sections of the board-approved clinical dental examinations. (The board-approved examinations are SRTA from any year and CRDTS, WREB or NERB redults for examinations completed after January 1, 2005. CITA scores are accepted if examination is taken after September 1, 2007).

3. If the candidate fails any section of a board-approved examination 3 times, the candidate shall complete a minimum of 14 hours of additional clinical training in each section of the examination to be retested in order to be approved by the board to sit for the examination a 4th time.

4. All applicants for licensure by examination shall be required to attest that they have read and understand and will remain current with the applicable Virginia dental laws and the regulations of the board. The board does not require the applicant to pass any dental laws exams, but such an exam is offered if the candidate wishes to test his/her knowledge of dental laws.

Other Requirements:

1. A final certified transcript of the grades from the college from which the applicant received the dental degree, or post-doctoral degree or certificate.

2. An original grade card issued by the Joint Commission on National Dental Examinations.

3. A current report from the Healthcare Integrity and Protection Data Bank (HIPDB) and a current report from the National Practitioner Data Bank (NPDB).


You can find up-to-date laws and regulations and more in the VA Board of Dentistry Laws & Regulations webpage, and a complete listing of the required forms here.

1. Regulations Governing the Practice of Dentistry & Dental Hygiene. Virginia Board of Dentistry.
2. Chapter 27 of Title 54.1 of the Code of Virginia, Dentistry.
3. VA Dental License Application Form

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

WREB - Western Regional Examining Board / Dental Exam

WREB serves as one of the clinical exam requirements needed for getting the license in most US states, after the educational requirement (2-yr program) and the written exam requirement (NBDE). I will try to summarize here the key points that you need to know, from my own experience with WREB, from the official WREB publications, and from the advice of my school professors and WREBs own floor examiners. Since specific exam requirements are subject to change, I will try not to go into details discussing those requirements, you can always read the candidate guide for specifics. As always, it's difficult to guarantee the accuracy of all of the information listed here, so I strongly encourage you to read the WREB candidate guide very carefully to make sure that you understand all aspects of the exam.

To pass the WREB exam: a minimum of 75 points for the overall score, and at least 55% in any section.

I. Operative Section: two different restorative procedures on patients that you provide. Worth 48 points.

A. Operative Exam Issues:

1. Unacceptable patient/case submission will result in a 3 points deduction; you can be penalized twice per procedure for a maximum deduction of 6 points per procedure. Be careful.

2. Bevels are not required on Class II composite restorations.

3. Automatic Failure: you don't want to do any of the following sins:

(a) Caries remaining in prep.

(b) Prep of wrong tooth.

(c) Prep of tooth without approval.

4. Modification Requests: Cut ideal prep before asking for modifications.

5. Rubber dam: required for grading and for modification requests; not required for procedure.

6. MO preps on mandibular first bicuspids are not allowed.

7. Posterior Class II teeth require pretreatment bitewing & PA film.

8. Avoid stained pits and fissures if possible because they may be graded as caries remaining which translates into automatic failure: e.g.,

(a) you are prepping a #14 MO, you are responsible for the distal occlusal pit (the entire occlusal surface). If the distal occlusal pit is carious, you must restore it, and it will be graded as part of your Class II prep score, even if it was restored as an individual prep due to tooth structure conservation indications.

(b) If there is buccal or lingual pit caries, you should not restore them until you have requested a prep modification. You will be automatically failed for prepping without a request, but you will also be failed for leaving caries if you ignore them!

9. Class III composite:

(a) Must be unrestored proximal surface with caries at least to the DEJ or beyond.

(b) If there are lesions on both M & D proximal surfaces, both lesions must be done.

(c) Should be an ML or DL prep; MF or DF preps can be done but must be justified.

(d) Gingival margin must be in enamel.

(e) Restoration must extend into the contact.

(f) Temporary fillings are not allowed in adjacent tooth.

(g) Tooth must be vital; preps in RCT teeth are not allowed.

(h) Teeth with veneers are unacceptable.

10. Indirect pulp caps: If you are within ½ mm of the pulp, you may make a note to the floor examiner requesting to do an indirect pulp cap. You must know how close you are to the pulp; you may take a radiograph to ascertain this. The trick is to know for sure you are only ½ mm of the pulp.

B. Common Problems:

1. Tooth not in occlusion.

2. Caries not to DEJ or deeper.

3. Caries not on proximal surface with adjacent contact.

4. Over- or under-treatment proposed on diagnosis.

5. Submitting backup patients without doing your own diagnosis: We heard about candidates who have requested to treat teeth that have been extracted, to treat lesions that were already treated by another candidate on the exam, etc!

II. Perio. Treatment: root planing and scaling on a patient that you provide. Worth 8 points. Periodontal exam failure is the least common problem.

A. Common Problems:

1. Insufficient calculus on quadrant; automatic 3 point deduction for a rejected quadrant.

2. Soft tissue damage.

III. Endodontics Section: Endo treatment on two extracted teeth. Worth 16 points. Endodontic exam failure is the most common reason for having to repeat the WREB exam.

A. Endodontics Exam Issues:

1. Caries cannot violate the pulp chamber.

2. Radiographs must show the entire tooth from incisal edge to root apex; use double film packs and take both B-L and M-D views.

3. Chipped teeth are acceptable as long as the damage does not compromise your access design and form.

4. Rubber dam must be used.

5. Only the canal you specify will be graded in the posterior tooth, but you may fill more than one of the canals.

6. If your tooth breaks, put all pieces in a bag and have the floor examiner make a note. Avoid this by keeping the teeth moist in water or glycerin.

7. Be careful not to break the tooth during lateral condensation. If this happens, a score of 3 is the highest possible if all else is well done.

8. Scoring is 0 – 5: 3 indicates minimum competence; a score of 4 on one of the two teeth does not offset a score of 2 on the other tooth – both must be 3 or above.

B. Common Problems:

1. Tooth mounted in wrong arch or backwards in socket.

2. Tooth not in occlusion.

3. Apex putty is not a minimum of 2mm from the base material.

4. The posterior tooth does not have at least two canals.

5. Non-diagnostic radiographs are submitted or no pretreatment duplicate films are submitted.

6. Time management; going overtime with live patient exam.

7. Submission of wet and/or unfixed radiographs.

8. Taking too many radiographs to get that one “perfect” film – film needs to be diagnostic, not perfect.

IV. Perio. Diagnosis: Computer simulation exam. Worth 8 points.

V. Prosthodontics: Computer simulation exam. Worth 8 points.

Common Problems with both CSW Exams (they are administered at the same time):

1. Waiting too long to make the exam appointment, Exam must be taken no more than 45 days before or 3 days after sitting for the clinical exam.

2. Not taking 2 pieces of ID that match the registered name.

VI. Patient Assessment & Treatment Planning PATP: case-based written exam. Worth 12 points.

A. PATP Exam Issues:

1. Patient cases are used, both adult and pedo cases (Photographs, radiographs, patient information sheet & health history (same forms that WREB requires), caries status and risk assessment are provided.

2. Candidate has 1 hour to treatment plan 1 case:

(a) Exam seeks evidence of good basic treatment planning skills, keep it simple.

(b) Treatment plan only for what you are given, don't read things into the case that do not exist.


(d) Develop an appropriately sequenced treatment plan.

(e) Use of common abbreviations is allowed. Try though to stick to the ones in the official candidate guide.

B. PATP Common Problems

1. Searching for things that are not readily evident in the provided case materials.

2. Poor handwriting.

3. Not keeping it simple, again, do not overtreat or get fancy.

VII. Dental Assistants:

One of the best things that you could do is to hire an assistant to help during the exam, an experienced dental assistant is better, and one who has been involved in a WREB exam is even better, this can save you a lot of time before and during the exam. It's worth investing in.

VIII. Finding Patients:

You have to find your own patients for the exam, I encourage you to start looking for patients as early as you can, give yourself plenty of time ahead so you don't get caught up. Although luck has a lot to do with finding "the right patient" there are several things you can do to improve the odds:

A. Screen your own patients that you already see at the school, you will be surprised sometimes how you can find lesions that were not diagnosed before.

B. Offer free screenings to friends, family, etc. Or you can even extend the offer to your local area (schools, church, etc) provided that you can handle the masses that will respond to the offer (this might be better handled by a large group of volunteer students working together).

C. You could offer potential patients incentives to help them commit to showing up for your exam, I have seen several incentives offered, from powered toothbrushes, to cold hard cash.

D. Ask local dentists, especially alumni of your school to help in referring patients who might be good candidate for the exam.

E. If all fails, and you are desperate, you can always resort to patient finding agencies that specialize in locating candidates for the WREB exam, that can be very pricy, but I've seen some of my friends utilize this approach very successfully.

IX. General Information:

A. Be familiar with the regulations before the exam.

B. Be familiar with the needed paperwork beforehand.

C. Pay attention during the orientation, and ask questions if you need to.

D. Know the scoring criteria.

E. Patient selection is very important, the examiners want to see that you can diagnose properly, they do not want to reject patients, but they must if your patient does not meet the criteria. Also make sure the patient’s health is acceptable, they have no TMJ problems, not an anxious patient, etc.

F. Time management is important, especially for the endo exam, do not start late! Endo and PATP exams are timed, none of the others are, but pay attention to your time. Perio patient must be treated the same day they are accepted.

G. You may anesthetize the patient before being submitted for approval.

H. Do not ask the floor examiners to sit and look at your prep until you have cut the ideal prep, they will ask you if it is ideal before they sit down. Do not fish!

I. Candidates will not be penalized for equipment failures; if there is more than a 15 minute delay, the candidate will be compensated. Make sure you notify the floor examiner as soon as you notice the malfunction.